A favorite indulgence: making comparisons.
PART I. Violin vs. Piano , music-making.
- TONE: Most immediate: V – control of beginning, middle and end of note. P – harmonically supported.
- SONIC INTENTION: V – singing/speaking. P – Orchestral.
- INTERPRETATIVE PACING: the same. Anticipation of subsequent phrases.
- PHYSIOLOGICAL: V: hands are independent. P: hands are interdependent.
- DEMEANOR: deadpan. Some swaying okay. Energy must be totally and absolutely directed into delivery. Any bodily display is a distraction. I’m good with this. “Outside, looking In”. Out-of-body, detachment for optimal delivery. Moreover, this allows for ‘universal collaboration’. Premise: music is already part of your being; any spontaneous re-interpretation is valid. An Ideal!
Performance ideal: a state of gratitude for delivery of music. ‘Love’ towards the music – doesn’t always work. The emotion can distract and cost technique. Gratitude transcends both the emotional and intellectual planes of interpretation. It creates the ideal condition for ‘spontaneous universal collaboration’; among audience, music and the rest of the cosmos; performer is catalyst
SEMINAR ON PRACTICING
There is no correct way of playing anything. Only your own.
Music and instrumental learning is an equal journey of self-discovery and knowledge. The pleasure and the puzzle is that this is never completed!